- Number of inhabitants: 10,000,000
- Prison population rate per 100,000 inhabitants: 211
- Link to Probation Service: https://www.pmscr.cz/en/
- Member of the CEP in: 2009
Characteristics of the Probation and Mediation Service
- The Probation and Mediation Service was established in 2001.
- It is a governmental component unit subordinate to the Ministry of Justice.
- The basic probation units are the regional service centres.
- There are 74 service centres in the Czech Republic in eight judicial regions
- The probation tasks consist mainly of the enforcement of community sanctions (community service, house arrest, entry ban, supervision of conditionally sentenced offenders, supervision of conditionally released offenders and duties related to it).
- The enforcement of community sanctions means mainly client work in form of supervision and reporting
- The duties also include control tasks, such as intervention in breaches during the enforcement, and interactive work, which aims to reduce recidivism.
- Additionally, the client is assisted in getting the services they need from society, e.g. substance rehabilitation. The amount of these kinds of case management tasks is increasing in the probation service.
- To an increasing extent, the tasks also consist of evidence-based interventions and case management.
- The Probation and Mediation Service provides assistance to the victims of crime, victim-offender mediation and other restorative practices.
Number of staff (average numbers in 2017)
- Probation Officers: 395
- Probation Managers, all grades: 22
- Administrative support staff, all grades: 9
- Total: 426
Daily average number of offenders dealt with: 1975
- Electronic monitoring system implementation
- Establishment of a network of halfway houses
- Deepening cooperation with relevant governmental and non-governmental organizations to provide comprehensive services to both offenders and victims of crime